<

11.03.2005

My Funny Valentine

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first time I heard Chet Baker sing My Funny Valentine I thought damn, this guy has the cajones of the steel. See, his girl is totally messed up looking and HE STILL LOVES HER. Booyah! Take that, InStyle!

Said the Gramaphone held a contest for the best version, and good Ol' Chet won out. Check the contest page for mp3s of his version and a live one by Elvis Costello.

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you’re my favourite work of art

Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don’t change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentine’s day

Actually, Chet is simply following in the footsteps of Ol' Willy Shakespeare.

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red:
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound.
I grant I never saw a goddess go:
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home